Bilston BID is delighted to announce the strong backing from businesses who have overwhelmingly voted YES to continue the BID for another Five Years. An impressive 60% of votes cast were in favour of Bilston BID.
Every business which pays a BID levy had the opportunity to vote in the ballot. Despite lockdown, the number of votes cast held strong and was comparable to the previous ballot five years ago. The result also showed more than a 6% increase in the proportion of businesses voting in favour of Bilston BID.
The success of this ballot will see a direct investment from businesses into the Bilston BID Zone of just under £1million over five-year period from 1st April 2021. The BID will also continue to apply for additional funding, to greatly increase direct investment in support of town centre businesses.
Bilston BID will now set to work delivering an ambitious Business Plan designed to ensure Bilston remains a popular and welcoming place to live, study, work, visit and do business.
The BIDs Key Goals are:
- Marketing Bilston as a place to visit and shop – this will be achieved through a combination of online and traditional marketing methods to raise the profile of the town centre to locals and visitors.
- This will include a quarterly promotional brochure, highlighting the many products and services the town has to offer.
- Promoting a newly revamped website, to help businesses with online sales and bookings of their products and services.
- A Safe and Secure BID Zone – Bilston BID will continue to provide a package of measures to enhance safety and reduce crime and antisocial behaviour through improved networking between different businesses and agencies including the Police and the City Council.
- As well as already providing overnight patrols 365 days per year, a Link Radio system and Pubwatch meetings, the BID will soon be extending the number of CCTV cameras, which are monitored 24/7 by Wolverhampton Homes.
- Working with Wolverhampton BID, Bilston BID will now be part of Alternative Giving, which helps organisations to provide help and support to rough sleepers and those with substance abuse issues, including street begging.
- Events Programme – as soon as COVID restrictions allow, there will be a relaunch of our calendar of events including regular favourites such as St Georges Day, Bilston-By-The-Sea, Trek & Treat, Easter Egg Hunt, the Christmas Lights Switch On. New and exciting events will also be added to the programme to increase footfall and dwell time in the town centre.
- Direct Support to Businesses – Bilston BID will ensure a regular flow of relevant information to levy payers as well as organising themed networking events and relevant training. This will include the introduction of BID Breakfast events and 1-2-1 sessions with the BID Manager, to discuss how the BID can help businesses to grow.
Tony Sangha, Chair of the Bilston BID Board said “We are delighted with the strength of support shown by the result of this ballot. Businesses of all sizes have confirmed their confidence in Bilston BID and delivered us a strong remit to push ahead with our ambitious plans for the next five years.”
Bilston BID Manager, Simon Archer, added “Bilston BID has worked hard to support businesses through the challenges of the pandemic. The increased Yes Vote from five years ago really shows how much businesses value the support of the BID team and gives us a strong remit moving forward.”
“Of course, I’d like to thank the businesses who voted for another five years of the BID, but I would also like to assure every business that we will pull out all the stops to ensure you get full value for your money in the future.”
Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) must hold a ballot a minimum of every five years to ensure they still have the support of the businesses who have to pay into them. Without the ballot, and the strong show of support, Bilston BID would have ceased to exist on 31st March 2021.
The success of Bilston BID relies on the support and engagement of businesses from across the town. Through bringing businesses together, Bilston BID aims to make a significant positive difference for everyone. When current restrictions are finally eased Bilston BID will be encouraging local people to venture safely back into the town centre to show support for local businesses. If you have any questions about Bilston BID and how we can support your business, please contact the BID team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com